Now that we’ve mastered Chicken Stock it’s time to show off those awesome flavors. Avgolemono is a recipe that really relies on a great chicken stock for depth of flavor. This is our version of chicken soup and can be made with either rice or orzo, the better of the two in my opinion is the latter. The starch from the orzo along with the egg yolks, help create that silky smooth texture which really brings the soup over the top. One bowl and you’ll never crave that bland old noodle version again.
2 qt Chicken Stock
8 Egg Yolks
1 Shallot Minced
2 large Carrots cut Macedoine (small squares)
¼ cup Lemon Juice (depending on the strength of the lemons and your taste preference)
1 ½ cups of Orzo
Salt and Pepper
1. Pour a couple of tablespoons of EVOO into a 5 quart sauce pan sauté the shallots and carrots until tender.
2. Stir in the orzo. Add the Chicken Stock.
3. Stir continuously until the orzo is cooked through.
4. Remove the soup from stove. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Allow about 5 minutes for the soup to cool down…approximately 130° F. Temper the Egg Yolks with the hot chicken stock. Slowly whisk the egg yolk mixture into the soup.
5. Add the lemon juice to taste.
You can serve just like this or you can stir in some shredded chicken breast or thigh. Perfect use for that left over roaster from the supermarket.